February 24, 2009

My Daring Adventure

So yesterday I decided that I had enough and I was going to go up to Grand Junction to see Eric. Now this was just as much for him has it was for my sanity. You see when he left on Friday he took only enough close with him to last the number of days he planned on being there, which was three days. Well he was required to stay until today so needless to say he was out of clothes as of Monday. Now this has happened once before, when he was stuck unexpectedly in Price, Utah for FIVE Days with only the clothes on his back. So as any good wife I decided that I would never let him go without clean clothes again. So Sunday after he was needing to stay until Monday I made a decision that if he was not coming home Monday I would go to him. So when he called me at work and told me that he had to stay another day I knew what I had to do. 
I came home and within thirty minutes I had enough shits, pants, underclothing and socks to last him three more days. I download my map from map quest, packed a couple changes of clothes for myself and off I went. The trip was pretty uneventful until I hit the rocky mountains. Now our car though little is very mighty and handle a lot. So when it started to snow a little I wasn't worried. But then I started in on the narrow mountain roads. At first I wasn't too concerned I just slowed down and took my time. But then came the warning signs for avalanches and falling rocks and I become more concerned. Now sign don't usually concern me but when the length of road that was within the avalanche area kept increasing with every sign I wasn't so sure what to think. Along with the fact that I could see a few boulders that had been moved off the road. 
Then the roads became more icy and snowy. So I slowed down even more. I said a silent pray and even began to sing just to help my nerves. But then came down hill curves. And won't you know it Sir Issac Newton and his law of gravity began to work against me! No matter how hard I tried I kept gaining speed. Even with all of this I was fine until the car skidded a little too close to the edge of a cliff. Then the panic rose in my chest. I had to keep repeating to myself, "Eric is worth this, and the Lord is with me." Finally after a very tense hour I came out of the mountains and was extremely grateful for the divine intervention on my nerves. But then my harrow adventure almost seemed pointless when Eric called and told me that he was coming home Tuesday and that I could just go home! 
Well I made it very clear that I was not going back through the mountains and I had come this far and was not turning back! So he admitted that he wanted to see me and so I continued my journey. I finally made to Grand Junction around eight that night and was so grateful to be with my husband again but I was also extremely exhausted. 
I have decided that while the mountains are beautiful with snow I will wait until summer to go through them again. Also I think next time I will let Eric drive and I will just enjoy the scenery. So next time you are in a pickle of a driving adventure just remember your destination is worth it, no matter what the destination is!

1 comment: