January 31, 2009

My Husband: A chef in the making

So a while ago I purchased some easy cookbooks for Eric to use. He has not really ever cooked before. Now I know you are all wondering well how did he eat before he met you. Well it was a mixture of on-campus food at the Marketplace and the Junction and frozen delicacies that I will not allow in our home such as frozen burritos. So needless to say when we got married I was doing all the cooking, which is fine because I love to cook. But there are times I just don't feel like cooking. Usually when I am feeling exhausted from work and school or under the weather. It is a rare occurrence. However, when I feel that way I don't want Eric to starve or have to eat frozen meals again. This along with the possibility that I may be out of the country for a week this summer motivated me to teach him how to cook. But when I tried to do it from my cookbooks he looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. In fact I was, chef or cook speak. You know, words like julienne, fold, separate, etc. Words that for him were new and very difficult. So I decided to help him learn cooking starting with the basics. I was lucky enough to find some cookbooks on the American Girl website. Now these books I got because of the fact they had recipes for things like meatloaf, carrot soup and Cincinnati chili. Things that I know Eric would like and they are books we can use later with our children or with any young children we are watching for friends.
Well tonight Eric decided to start trying to cook from scratch with Cincinnati chili. This is partly because he wants to enter the chili cook off at church. So I helped him find spices and measure things and answers questions as they came up. But overall I let him cook on his own. Well when it came time to eat it, I couldn't stop. He did an amazing job. And he is now excited to try again to make it better for the cook-off. Needless to say I think I will be eating chili a few other times this week. So if any of you are in the area please come and help me eat it, because while it delicious I can only have so much. I am mostly excited to see him enter the chili cook-off. I too will be stretching my culinary skills. I am planning on making an apple pie. So Monday evening we will be having apple pie test run one for dessert. So happy cooking to all of you and if you ever find you way to Farmington, New Mexico, please stop by the Winslow's for we will  have some good home-cookin' for y'all!

1 comment:

  1. What a great hubby! :o) Rob likes those frozen burrito's too. They are so disgusting.

    ReplyDelete