May 21, 2012

Teach me to walk in the light

So lately I have been trying to sing a primary song to each of the kids before they head to bed. Mackenzie usually love "I am a Child of God" and will now even sing with me while Hyrum loves "Teach Me to Walk in the Light". However, lately Mackenzie has wanted me to sing the same song as Hyrum to her. Last night was a very sweet bedtime with our little princess. She was having a really hard time sleeping so I finally asked her what was wrong. She said she was scared. So I asked her if she wanted to say a little extra prayer to ask Heavenly Father to help her not be so scared. At first I wasn't sure if she understood or if she would be up for it. She wanted to try so I taught her how to say simply, "Dear Heavenly Father, Please help me. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen" Wouldn't you know it, the simple faith of a two year-old worked! She was out like a light. She did wake up a couple of times in the night and we had to say the prayer again both times but it taught me something important. Faith really is that simple. Mackenzie knows that her Heavenly Father loves her as much if not more than her earthly parents (who adore her). So she knows that he will help her. As I was singing "Teach me to Walk in the Light" to Hyrum later last night I realized that this little sweet moments are how I am teaching my children to walk in the light. As I try to help Mackenzie understand the importance of sacrament meeting and help Hyrum remember the love that his Heavenly Father and savior Jesus Christ have for him. I know that it is clicking. They my only be two years old and six months but they are getting it. I am also learning so much as I teach them. Sometimes I wonder if I am a good mother. There are so many things I want to do for my kids and wit my kids but I know that as long as my heart and mind are in the right place and I do everything I can, the Lord will make up for my short fall. I am so grateful for the power of prayer and that I can begin to teach Mackenzie how to pray on her own. I hope she will always feel the desire to talk to her Father in Heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment